Impact on the Environment
- 3% of our gross sales are donated to environmental conservation in Zanzibar.
- Our Ingredients support biodiversity, are often indigenous and wild-grown, removing fertilizers, pesticides and irrigation.
- Seaweed is key to decarbonising the economy and fighting climate change.
- Our ingredients are locally sourced and have an exceptionally low carbon-footprint
- We avoid toxic chemicals and crops that are bad for the environment, such as palm oil and monoculture.
Impact on our People
- Mwani Zanzibar is operated and ran by the very people it aims to impact- our Mwani mamas.
- We go beyond Fairtrade. Our farmers have become artisans.
- Our ingredients are sourced from a majority female suppliers.
- Because our ingredients are indigenous and wild-grown, we work with local communities.
Impact of our Packaging
- Our glass bottles are made of 100% post-consumer and recycled glass bottles – the first beauty company in the world to do so.
- Our outer packaging is made of 80% post-consumer and recycled outer packaging.
- Our logo is debossed in the glass, eliminating the need for silk screen printing or plastic labelling.
- Our bottles are coloured with a non-toxic chalk pigment to avoid penetration of UVA and UVB rays.
- We worked extensively with our glass supplier to thin our glass bottles, reducing carbon footprint.